SGIA’s Q1 Benchmarking Report
Insights from signs and graphics printers.
SGIA has released 2019 Q1 Summary Reports focusing on products and markets for the commercial, functional, apparel, and graphic and sign printing industries. The Graphic and Sign Community Industry Survey is based on the responses of 121 PSPs. Insights include:
- The average number of applications offered is eight, with the most popular being window graphics (85.3 percent), banners/soft signage/flags (84.3 percent), and labels/decals (76.5 percent).
- PSPs serve seven markets on average, with 65.3 percent imaging graphics for educational institutions and 64.8 percent providing corporate branding.
- Signs and graphics companies report expanding into other markets including commercial printing, functional printing, garment decoration, and package printing/converting.
- Of the shops surveyed, 71.5 percent employ fewer than 20 staff members and 73 percent have revenue up to $3 million. The median sales revenue is $1.4 million.
- The majority (81.3 percent) of respondents provide finishing services; installation is the most common service followed by lamination.
- Four out of five PSPs rely mostly on digital technology.
- Most of the surveyed shops (67.5 percent) report positive sales growth during the current year; looking to the future, 56.1 percent report a positive industry outlook.